Colorful, Affordable Options for Home & Office Organization
After many years of working in a cluttered home office that kept me from working efficiently, I came up with a few ideas for home and office organization that don’t break the bank.
Home and office organization that adds a little color helps energize the space, making you feel more productive.
Create visual interest with an infusion of color and texture on open shelves.
- Stack and label everything. Corral items on shelves in stacked baskets. Add labels to help keep you organized.
- Add color to plain cardboard magazine files by covering them with gift wrap. Label the contents of each with this free printable sheet of labels.
- Paint a thrift store box in a bright color and use it to store smaller items.
- Create an oversized fabric-covered pin board using foam insulation sheets. Duct tape the sheets together to create the size you need, and then cover with fabric. Use ribbon and tacks to decorate the edge.
- Use glass or ceramic vases to hold pens, markers and pencils.
- Conquer cluttered desk drawers by fitting square or rectangular baskets into the drawer like a puzzle. No baskets? Use small, white cardboard jewelry boxes.
- Organize the contents of a drawer by keeping like items together. Paint the bottom of the drawer in a cheery color.
- Every office needs a way to organize printer papers of all weights, colors and types. To keep the paper flat, use pizza boxes or buy flat-style boxes at home improvement stores (from the “moving supplies” aisles) to stack inside a cabinet. I used decorative tape to cover the outer edges of the boxes.
More home and office organizing ideas:
- Untangle unruly bunches of extension cords and run them through paper towel or gift wrap tubes, using the tubes to lead the cords to your desk.
- If you don’t have a room devoted to your home office, make over an extra closet. Or, transform an old television armoire into your own private little desk space so you can close the doors on it when you’re done for the day.
- Add casters to your file cabinet so you can move it right next to your desk as needed.
See? A few boxes here and there and some pops of color are all it takes to create an office space that’s clean, organized and easy to use.
I have been sponsored by the Glidden® brand paint for PPG to write this post but the thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.